Goan Shrimp Curry
One of the dishes I associate “Goa” with is the Goan Fish/Shrimp Curry. Its a staple, every Goan whether a poor fisherman or a genteel has this at least once a week. It’s soul food, one that fills you up warm in the belly and in your heart. Try it!
500 gm prawns/shrimp (shelled and de-veined)
1 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
2 cups coconut milk
200 gm chopped onions
2 tbsp oil
2 green chillies
4-5 whole red chillies
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin seeds
6 black pepper
½ tsp turmeric
¼ cup vinegar or Tamarind (size of small lemon)
1. Marinate the prawns with a little salt & tumeric and keep aside.
2.Finely chop onions.
3. Marinate all the masala ingredients in vinegar. Rice vinegar is fine, or if not use tamarind. Grind to a fine paste.
4. In oil, fry green chillies and onions till golden brown.
5. Add masala and fry (cook for a while) on slow heat.
6. Add shrimp and then coconut milk (cook on slow fire so that the coconut milk does not curdle)
Serve with hot basmati rice or even brown rice.