BootsnAll Travellers' Toolkit |
Home Ask the Pilot Collection Malaria Solo Travel

Study Abroad Guide

by BootsnAll

For many students, doing a study abroad program is the best chance to travel while you’re still in school. While it will cost you some money, it will likely be less expensive than if you just set off to backpack around Europe or learn to tango in Argentina one summer on your own. And because you’ll be settled in one place for a period of time, you’ll have a richer experience than if you were to just be passing through as a tourist. In short, if you can arrange your studies to afford time to study abroad, we think it’s definitely something you should do.

But studying abroad can be a daunting prospect, right? Even if you’re someone who likes getting out of your element, being away from home and all your friends for that long can be tough. And we’d be foolish to say that you won’t have any problems or that you won’t get homesick. The good news, however, is that you’ll be following in the footsteps of so many students who have gone before you that your study abroad experience can be made smoother and easier as a result of their wisdom.

In this section, you’ll find articles written by students who have done the study abroad routine – they’re covering such subjects as the top study abroad destinations, how to pick a study abroad program, non-traditional study abroad programs, and how to make adjustments when you’re a foreign student. You can even read about the Semester at Sea program to see if that might be something you’d want to consider.

We’ve never met anyone who regretted studying abroad, whether for a term or an entire year. Well, there was the one guy who tried to steal a road sign with his name on it in Eastern Europe – he ended up spending a night in a Bulgarian jail before being sent home. But y’know what? Even he has fond memories of his study abroad experience. The bottom line is that it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience you should absolutely consider.